Saturday, March 5, 2011

Feed Your Soul

Chicken soup.

Sleeping-in on a rainy day.

Taking the long way home, just to see the scenery.

A good book.

We all have our "things" that warm our souls, make us feel good, feed us in a way that we feel butterflies down to our toes. These are the most beautiful moments in life, in my opinion. Nutrition is about feeding all aspects of our being, I think. My tummy needs lean proteins and greens. My brain needs numbers to crunch. My soul needs those deep-down, sugary moments to myself.

Today I began thinking of what these moments are like. It was a rainy, lazy Saturday. Although I worked, I felt very indulgent in how I went about my day.

I went to work early to walk a little slower from my car in the rain. I twirled my big umbrella the whole way.

On my lunch break, instead of getting lunch, I ordered a much-craved iced venti soy latte from Starbucks and walked the extra two-and-a-half blocks in the rain to get it.

When I got home, I decided to cuddle with my dog on the couch, watching The Food Network. It was a Chopped Champions marathon, though. No-brainer there.

And, for one more indulgence, I sang in the shower late at night. This is something I have done while living the single life in the city (Oh, 3 months ago?) every Saturday night, without fail. This included the nights I came home after midnight! I trust my former neighbors do not miss me for this reason :)

Needless to say, I indulged today. And, as you can tell, that does not mean I spent the day sleeping in, watching girlie movies, eating Hostess cakes and potato chips. But, believe me folks, I have been known to do this AND enjoy these days, too. Though, today, I indulged in a way only I would understand.

And that is how it should be for you.

So, my question for you tonight is this...

What is it that feeds your soul? What are those deep-down, sugary moments that you take for yourself that make you feel butterflies down to your toes?

For me, it's singing in the shower in the middle of a rainy night.

It feels good to get back in touch with these feelings. Is it time for you to take a moment and feed your soul?

Trust me. It isn't as stupid as it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment