Saturday, June 26, 2010

An 88 Year Old Woman Made Me Cry

I had a short day at work today. I was only scheduled from 2:30 until close, so I spent the morning reading and watching some new episodes on the Food Network. Yes, just like last night's post said I would.

So, my day began as normal as it possibly could. I would have liked to wake up earlier and go for a run, but I stayed up until almost 2am, reading my book. I slept in pretty late. If any of you are wondering if Steig Larsson's trilogy at the top of the NY Times Bestseller list are fluff and hype, just know that they are fantastic. I haven't been this captivated by a story line in so long. It is very refreshing. I read every word, just so that I don't miss anything. I tried to take it to work for my lunch breaks, but it just destroys the story. I need to be completely focused on the story to really experience it.

But, today I had a 15 minute break. I didn't have to pout as I left the book at home. I left a little early for work, as I usually do. I remembered my sunscreen and my protein bar for lunch. I forgot a hair tie, but I braved the humidity without it.

I got outside and there was a yard sale in my neighbors' front yard. Mostly junk. But, hey, there is definitely something to be said for a good, solid effort.

I started walking up my street, South Negley Avenue, and saw an elderly woman standing at the bus stop and a younger woman sitting on the steps near the bus stop. I was about 50 feet away from her and she suddenly gasped and grabbed for the tree nearby. She collapsed and fell into the street, as cars continued to drive by her side. She didn't move at first, so I ran over to her and tried to direct the cars into a single lane. They were driving far too close to her for comfort. It made me so angry.

I dialed 911.

She was a black woman, but her legs were covered in white spots. She fallen hard on her side, and her arm was bright red. Her skin was hot to the touch.

A few people stopped by and said they would get some water and fan her. They brought a pillow. We had a nice group of people to help. I stayed on the phone with dispatch. Apparently, I am very calm and authoritative in an emergency situation.

"Have you ever had a heart attack or angina?"

"I'm sorry, she won't answer the question. She is burning up. Can you please send help now?"

They were probably checking to make sure the trip would be worth their while.

She finally gained enough strength to sit up on the curb. The pavement was so hot, and I felt that was the best thing for her. The water came, but she wasn't permitted to drink it. I had Nina put some of the cold water on her arms and legs to try and bring her temperature down a bit. The dispatch told me that she couldn't eat or drink, just to cut down the potential of her getting sicker until the ambulance arrived.

Understood.

She eventually started to talk. I called work to let them know I might be a little bit late. And the ambulance seemed to be taking its grand ole time, driving up the street. Richard called and emphasized to the dispatcher that we needed the ambulance to step on the gas.

It worked.

The ambulance came, much to her dismay, and they checked her vitals and lifted her into the ambulance. She originally didn't want me to call 911, but I insisted she at least get a checkup before she went home to lie down for the afternoon. I guessed she was about 60 when I described her to the dispatcher.

She was 88 years old.

Her neighbor came over and said she would stay with her whether she went to the hospital or back to her apartment across the street. She didn't want my phone number, so I made sure that everything was okay with the EMTs and continued my walk to work.

It must have been the adrenaline rush of the whole experience, but as I walked to Shadyside, I felt a huge wave of anxiety and distress. I didn't like leaving her. I didn't like even more the fact that she was 88 years old, living alone in Pittsburgh, and waiting for the bus in the summer to go to Giant Eagle.

This 88 year old woman made me cry.

I actually never got her name, because she wasn't willing to share that information when I was checking her vitals. She made such an impact on my day---And I think I will always remember this incident---yet, I would never see her again and I didn't even know her name. Usually, when you do the right thing, you often feel very good about yourself.

I felt terrible.

I felt like there was something more I could have done for her. I was really hoping that I would give her my number, she would call me someday, and I could help her carry her groceries to her apartment. Something!

But, now as I see the situation from afar, I can see that those events would only bring benefit to my own intentions. The good deed should be about the person in need. She needed help, and I helped her. She didn't really know me, and I really didn't know her. And those facts still remain. It was just a minute in our lives, but it makes me certain that the best moments in your life are the ones that you can do the right thing and walk away without lingering or wondering.

As I got closer to Walnut Street, a man stopped his car in the middle of the road and asked me for directions to a place I did not know.

I suppose at this point, I have a huge neon sign on my head that reads "Please, ask for my help."

I learned a lot of about myself today. I learned a lot about other people, too. It was nice to see strangers band together to help someone else. It was horrible to see other people drive in the shoulder of the street, while a woman is lying down in obvious trouble.

There are good and bad apples everywhere. I hear the bad, ugly apples are used to make apple cider and get squashed in the end. I would like to know if that's a metaphor from beyond our universe.

1 comment:

  1. And you my dear Emily are a good apple a very good one. I love reading your blog.
    I am a fan keep up the good work. Your a wonderful person beautiful inside and out.
    Love ya !!!

    ReplyDelete